Thursday 18 June 2015

AVerMedia Live Gamer Extreme GC550



It's been awhile since a new capture card came on the market and here we go! AVerMedia Site

Apparently this was announced months ago but I didn't hear about it at all. The Shmups forums and SDA were quiet so apparently I wasn't the only one.

I've only looked at the specifications, but the capture card seems to offer the following features.

1080p60 - Also supports 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i
HDMI and Component
Passthrough (we can assume it laglessly converts Component to HDMI like the LGP)

It seems like AVerMedia learned the lesson from the ExtremeCap U3 CV710 and put a passthrough port on the device, yay. After reading the specifications and FAQ, I can assume this is a software based capture solution that doesn't use DirectShow.... huh? I'll need to get the device to verify but it seems like you're stuck using the RECentral software.

One other worry I have is that the recommended specifications for a laptop are crazy. It states a i7-4810MQ is "recommended" which I think is weird since all the high-ish end laptops I've looked at recently come with the i7-4720HQ (~£1000). The 4720HQ is apparently weaker than what is recommended, so I doubt this capture card is laptop worthy. I find that weird though since I know lots of people who use the XCAPTURE-1 and USB3HDCAP on cheaper laptops without issue. This might just be AVerMedia trying to cover themselves but who knows.

The price is pretty amazing though. It's £119 here in the UK (Amazon price) and $180 in the states.

I'll try and review it soon if I get one.

No comments:

Post a Comment