Friday 13 March 2015

Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K (1080p60 and 2160p30)

Announced mid February 2015, the new Blackmagic 4K now arrives.


It supports 1080p60 RGB capture and up to 2160p30 at 4:2:2. One of my main problems with the old Intensity Pro was that 480p was not supported over Component, this is now fixed.

People will be comparing this to the Micomsoft SC-512 so we can do a quick pros and cons list.

Intensity Pro 4K

Supports Deep Color output. Due to this, no other capture card can rival the quality outputted by this device. In a real world scenario though, I'm unsure of whether this will actually be beneficial as most stuff will just end up on YouTube.

It's $200 (or £135 according to the site). That's absolutely insane value.

Has passthrough. I'm unsure of whether it will function like the old Intensity and the tech specs don't mention it doing 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 processing. It looks like it might be lagless.

Supports 7.1 audio capture. This is always absent on cards of this price.

If it's like the old Intensity, it won't capture Full range content. I'll need to have the driver and the actual hardware to know for sure. I'm guessing since it supports Deep Color, they did support it.

The drivers can be flaky but obviously this can improve with time.

Obviously no 240p support but that's easily worked around with a GV-USB2 or similar.

Micomsoft SC-512

The Blackmagic crushes it in price and availability.

We know for sure the passthrough is lagless but so might this new Blackmagic.

Ability to capture via VGA so retro console RGB capture is possible. Anyone really into retro gaming has an upscaler so doesn't really matter.

Drivers are currently way better than Blackmagic.

Summary

What's now known as the best capture card completely depends on what you personally need. Both products are great but right now I have to side with the Intensity. That price point and features is bordering on absolute insanity.

Update:

So this is turning into trainwreck city for Blackmagic. 5 days ago I emailed Blackmagic some questions. Yes... 5 days ago. Today I got a reply.

"We aim to respond to all email queries within 1 working day"... I see.

Here are my original questions.

1. Does the passthrough operate the same way as the old Intensity Pro where it was converted to 4:2:2 on output and thus introduced some lag? Is it now 4:4:4 output and lag free? If so, what happened to Component to HDMI lag?

2. With other DirectShow software, are you able to select 4:2:2 HDYC for non UltraHD resolutions or is it always going to be RGB?

3. Will the new card support 0-255 Full range? The old Intensity only supported 16-235.

The reply:

thanks of your email,

1) I will ask the developer team whether the pass through is 10bit RGB or re negotiated
2)The UHD is always YUV
3)the card support 0-255

My impressions:

It's just as quick as they can reply it seems with 2 mistakes. "of your" instead of "for your" and "support" instead of "supports". Just looks really unprofessional.

Question 1 wasn't even answered and I bet you I don't get a follow up email to clarify. How did answer 2 help? The only answer I got was from 3 but they haven't explained how you would do this as there's no configuration to select this. I honestly may aswell not even have emailed. I'd stay away from Blackmagic.

No comments:

Post a Comment