Thursday 12 February 2015

Thank you! Support the blog

So that's the blog been up for just over a year now.


In that year, I've just been writing reviews and other stuff at a somewhat steady rate. I've never really advertised the blog but I somehow managed 25,000 views! At the start I was only getting maybe 15 views a day but now I'm constantly getting about 150 and I've seen that close to 200 before. I'm sure I'll be able to double that by the end of 2015.

Originally when I started this blog, it was just to review the capture cards I had and share my knowledge gained over the years. I've always just been fascinated by capture cards. The ability to see a video game console on your PC and being able to record it is still mesmerizing to me. Looking back at my older reviews, I sort of cringe. I've never been good at writing but I personally feel my latest reviews have been much better and easier to understand... hopefully you agree. Now let's move on to the thank you section.

I'd like to give a big thank you to blizzz on the SDA forum. He also runs a cool site similar to this which you should check out if you love retro games. We have a private thread on SDA that currently consists of 679 messages spanning over 28 pages. It's basically a really cluttered Wiki on game capturing. We've constantly bounced ideas back and forward and always been able to solve any problem. I wouldn't be close to my level of knowledge without him.

Another thanks has to go out to nate and ballofsnow at SDA for originally getting me interested in the capturing and encoding of video games. I remember asking snow in 2009... "how do you tell a video is 30fps?". nate is just generally awesome. I don't think there's a question about video processing and encoding that he couldn't answer. He has also been amazing in developing Yua which made writing my tutorials on capturing and encoding videos far easier.

I also want to thank Kadano again for his donation in paying the domain hosting until the start of 2016. I remember the day we met on that VideoHelp forum. I had made a post about how bad the new AVerMedia H727 version was and we both worked hard to get new drivers from AVerMedia.

That's all the intro and thanks done. Time to move on to what I originally wanted to say. My long term goal for this blog is to eventually review every single capture card that has been targeted at gamers. Sort of like a Pokemon "Gotta review 'em all!" thing. I also intend to go into way more detail than previous reviews.

I have to say with all the cards I currently have, this ambition is coming less of a reality. Recently I've wanted to get and review the AVerMedia Live Gamer Portable but it's getting to the point that it's probably falling under the surplus to requirements category, especially when money is becoming tight. I've decided to try and offset some of the cost of future purchases. I'm not going to blatantly ask for donations as I've never felt comfortable with that.

Instead I've opted for some changes to the blog. You might notice them already if you don't have AdBlock installed. All I will say is do what interests you and not me. I probably don't want to discuss it anymore in case I violate TOS.

The second idea I had was a win-win situation. I watch a lot of Hearthstone streams on Twitch and I notice that they have referral links where you buy PC games at a place called g2a.com. With the referral link you simply buy your games from g2a and I get a small percentage, you pay nothing extra. If you are really into PC gaming, I'd highly appreciate you using my referral link for future purchases.

https://www.g2a.com/r/thrill

Thanks again if you took the time to read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment