Tuesday 25 February 2014

Lenkeng LKV312N HDMI 1x2 Splitter Review

lenkeng lkv312n hdmi hdcp splitter

One of the big selling points of this splitter is not requiring a power supply. To test this I hooked up my Xbox 360 and fed the 2 outputs to my TV and capture card at 1080p60. Both feeds worked perfectly. I can only assume the splitter uses the +5v from Pin 18 of the HDMI cable to do this (although I wonder why they give you an option to power it). I guess it's just good to know it can do this resolution and frame rate without requiring more cables.

Just to ensure there was not any funny business going on, I decided to run objective video quality measurements against capturing the Xbox 360 directly and then against the splitted signal. I am happy to say that after running PSNR, SSIM and VQM measurements the images were 100% identical. There is absolutely no issue with the outputted signals even when not being powered.

Now let me get on to what most people probably came here about. Will this strip HDCP? The answer is well... yes and no. I hooked up my PS3 and fed my capture card and TV. My TV displayed the PS3 fine but my Micomsoft capture card actually gave me a HDCP message. I tried multiple configurations of cables and plugging them in at different times and nothing would work for my capture card. I even tried my AVerMedia C027/H727 card and that also showed a HDCP message regardless of configuration.

So to sum it up, if you want to play and capture from a 360, it's highly recommended. If you need this for PS3 then look at the older 1x2 and 1x4 methods which will work regardless of TV and capture card.

Update: I received an Elgato Game Capture HD and I can confirm that the Lenkeng strips HDCP for that device. I was using the pass through on the Elgato so I went back and checked my Aver card. The HDCP was stripped! This splitter looks to only strip HDCP when one output is connected. The Aver did give me a HDCP message but after like 10 seconds it vanished and I could record.

No comments:

Post a Comment